logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] IndexOutOfBoundsException while creating MDR

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Sun Nov 1 22:30:08 GMT 2009

I attempted to create a map of the Geofabrik extract of Europe using
the --index option. (I know this may be somewhat premature, since the
MDR code is still in progress.)

- This map consists of 274 tiles.

When I tried this, mkgmap halted with an IndexOutOfBoundsException.

- The exception occurred at line 356 of LBLFileReader.java in method
readPoiInfo(). This is the code that caused the exception:

				if (placeHeader.getNumCities() > 0xFF)
					cityIndex = reader.getChar();
				else
					cityIndex = reader.get() & 0xff;

				poi.setCity(cities.get(cityIndex-1));

To see if I could compile the map anyway, I added try and catch
statements around "poi.setCity(cities.get(cityIndex-1));", and printed
the exception.  I received a lot of error messages like the following:

  java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 17906, Size: 258
  java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 13957, Size: 258

Although the map then compiled, it still crashed Mapsource. Oh well.

Any idea what is going on here? Is it too ambitious to try to create
such a large map with > 256 tiles at this point?

Cheers.