logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] help with --index

From Bennie du Plessis bennied008 at gmail.com on Tue Oct 27 10:46:56 GMT 2009

Hi,
I still cannot get --index to work on the GPS.

Find places in Mapsource is available, but the state/province is greyed out.

In the GPS address search is still unavailable.

It requires a province name, which it can’t find.(nothing new, but expected
to be solved with --index)

I set the --region-name & --location-autofill, but it does not seem to have
an effect.

City search in Mapsource shows City, City, Country indicating that the
region info is maybe lost somewhere (if I understand this correct it should
be City, City, Region, Country). This is actualy confusing. If I compile
without --region-name, the Find shows up as City, City (leaving out the
default ABC *country*name that shows up when compiled with
--Region-name=***).Does this mean that region is actualy an alternative for
country and not for province?

The problem could also be device specific. I use a Nuvi 200W (SW Ver 4.00 &
unwilling to update), and maybe it just can't cope, but it seems to me that
the region province info is already missing in MapSource, so I don't want to
give up on the device just yet.

Could it be insufficient OSM data? I don't understand relations very well,
but I have seen is_in info in the data, with province names (although I
don't see where the device will be informed that it is a province name).
Should the province be set as a point / node somewhere or is province /
region data just collected from cities' / streets' is_in info, or maybe from
the relations of admin borders? Shouldn't --region-name option overide bad
OSM data in this case (I mean provide region info that is not available from
the OSM data- but then again if region is not equivalent to province it
won't help) What exactly is the difference between --region-name and
--country-name?

Can someone please direct me to an OSM area (small if possible) that is
known to work correct, and indicate the --options used to compile a map.

My apologies if this is a known issue and I missed it somewhere. Zipped
forum archives remains unavailable to me.

Do you plan to include --index in resources\help\en\options soon?

Something like:

--index creates mdr & mdx files to enable address searching. It will make
the FIND PLACES function in MapSource available, and should enable address
searching on a GPS if the maps are send to the GPS via mapsource. If
--overview-mapname is not specified it will default to "OSM Map". This will
make --road-name-pois redundant if the GPS unit is compatible. *Should the
--tdbfile option still be used?*

The reg file should look something like this:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\families\FamilyName]

"ID"= hex:CD,AB  #hex format of family Id; least significant byte, most
significant byte; Ax163 Bx162 Cx161 Dx160

"IDX"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM\\ TDBFileName.mdx"

"MDR"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM\\ \TDBFileName_mdr.img"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\families\FamilyName\ProductID]

"LOC"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM\\ "

"BMAP"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM\\ TDBFileName.img"

"TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\OSM\\ TDBFileName.tdb"

Regards

BennieD