logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway-symbol and name

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Sun Oct 25 13:04:07 GMT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 9:31, Ralf Reimann wrote:

> Toby Speight wrote:
>
> The above means:
> * If the highway has both 'ref' and 'name' tags, give it a name made
> of
>  the 'ref' value in an oval box, followed by the 'name' value; else
>
> I understood it in this way, but it doesn't do this. I looked for a
> lot of primaries and secondaries and all of them are named only by
> there ref.

Are you doing this in MapSource or on your GPS unit? I noticed that
MapSource will only display the first part of the name, which is used
in the highway shield (for example B57 or B58), but when I view the
same streets on my eTrex, cursoring over the area gives me the full
name (B58 Weseler Strasse). (If this doesn't work for you, what GPS
unit are you using?)

I strongly suspect that the MapSource display issue results from the
"highway-symbol:hbox" part of the style, which inserts the graphical
highway "shield" into the map. I have noted that other maps, produced
by cgpsmapper, do not seem to have this limitation. It could be that
we need to insert another "magic byte" into the name.

Cheers.