logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Transliteration

From Ivan Kostoski ivan.kostoski at gmail.com on Thu Oct 22 13:47:49 BST 2009

> What's the best thing we can say to (impatient) map users that want
> readable names in maps in your opinion? Wait for improved support in
> Mkgmap or is adding transliterated names in the OSM data an option?

My suggestion would be if --code-page is given, transliterate to ascii all
characters that fall out of the code page range. I.e. if I like build
Cyrillic map (--code-page=1251) I would transliterate all characters that
fall out of (0x0020-0x007f; 0x0400-0x04ff) ranges, so If any i.e. Greek
characters are present it the input data, they will be "mapped" to ascii.
Similar to with cp1252 (i.e. latin1), transliterate everyting outside
0x0020-0x007f; 0x00a0-0x00ff ranges. cp1250, transliterate everything
>0x007f.

Cyrillic, in most cases, is easy to transliterate (or romanize, etc) by
simple mapping as there are few exceptions. Try properly transliterating
i.e. Greek (i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Greek), taking
account letter combination and positioning in the word, assuming you know
which standard of Greek romanization you will use...

What I did to work around it is to use small program that pre-processes osm
data, adding name:ascii tags whenever it encounters non-ascii characters in
the osm data, and than use --name-tag-order=name:ascii, name as options.
However, it think that similar functionally could be implement in mkgmap...

Regards,
Ivan