logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Transliteration

From Lambertus osm at na1400.info on Wed Oct 21 09:27:00 BST 2009

A question popped up on the OSM forum about the many ??? in my maps.
They are a result of the single code page which is used for the whole
world and missing automatic transliteration.

I'm starting to understand what's needed for automatic transliteration:
detection of source language and various methods for transliteration to
another language (some languages suffice with 1-on-1 character
replacement, others need lookup tables etc).

The subject has been mentioned on this mailinglist before but doesn't
seem like it's very active, so: is anyone working on this?

The discussion on the OSM forum starts here (and further down):
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=42175#p42175