logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1265: Added --drive-on-left, --drive-on-right and --check-roundabouts options.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Tue Oct 20 14:17:39 BST 2009

Hi Marko,

> Thanks, with the logging.properties from
> http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q3/003993.html
> I got some warnings about roundabouts and fixed a few already.

Good, glad it's useful to you.

> I did not find the old discussion on a problematic roundabout, so I cannot
> check the data.  I am just guessing that the problem could be that the
> roundabout segments were not tagged junction=roundabout (because some
> validator or renderer could have problems with roundabouts defined in
> multiple segments).  That would be an error of the validator or renderer,
> of course.

Splitting roundabouts into segments is very common in the UK because
of route relations. i.e. a bus route uses part of a roundabout and so
the roundabout is split into segments so that only a portion of the
roundabout is part of the bus route.

You may also wish to try out the new --check-roundabout-flares option
which checks that roundabout flare roads are sane (oneway, point in the
right directions and don't extend further than they need to).

For the GB data, enabling that test gives over 2000 warnings, the vast
majority of which are real problems that either break the routing
completely or at least give odd routes. I am (slowly) editing the
OSM data to fix the problems. It's incredible what crap people are
happy to put into the OSM database. I get the impression that most
contributors don't give a toss about the map being routable or not.

Cheers,

Mark