logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1278: Add ability to set a road's class and speed from a CoordPOI.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Fri Oct 16 00:13:07 BST 2009

Carlos,

> > Arguably, yes. However, I ran out of energy before I could implement
> > that. The bollard code does very similar things but, to be honest, I
> > can't really be bothered at this time. If someone else wants to
> > implement that, I will happily integrate their patch. My feeling was
> > that in most places where traffic signals and crossings are, the ways
> > will contain points fairly close together and so the amount of way
> > that is affected will actually be quite small.
> You're probably right in this assumption. But it can be different for
> other POI's, like stops or toll booths. I can remember now several roads
> that end in a stop after some hundreds of metres or even kilometres of
> straight line. And the same can be applied to a motorway in which you
> have to stop at a toll booth. What's your opinion?

I agree, that would be a good example where the length of way that has
its speed/class reduced should be limited. I suspect it will get done
sometime but I'm not doing it right now - my mkgmap hacking energy
level is depleted, got to wait till it recharges.

Still, it's not really a big deal because all it means is that the
router will be a bit less keen (if routing for speed) to use that way
than it would do otherwise, a speed level reduction of -1 (for example)
is not going to make much difference even over several Km.

What I was aiming for was a means to add a time penalty for each
instance of lights/crossings/miniroundabouts/etc so that when cross-town
routing it would, hopefully, pick a faster route. We will see if that
proves to be the case in practice.

Cheers,

Mark