logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Reduce road class/speed when road is narrow

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Tue Oct 13 12:47:59 BST 2009

Mark Burton wrote:

> The OSM wiki says:
>
> Describes the width of a way or other map feature. The unit is meters unless otherwise specified.
>
> Why didn't they say "the unit is meters" and leave it at that.
> Completely mad.

Agreed - we've got the worst possible scenario currently.

What *should* have been done IMHO is that the OSM editor software
(potlatch, JOSM, maybe others) could have allowed for widths and heights
and speed-limit to be input in silly units, but that they would be
converted locally, and be submitted to OSM in SI units as you might expect.

Users could then be able to set 'preferences' for their editor
software's default behaviour (and then to forget about it), and no-one
dealing with OSM data downstream would ever know that they'd originally
entered the height limit in cubits, or the weight limit in short tons or
the speed limit in furlongs per microfortnight! :-)

Such a change to OSM's database and the editor tools could still be
accomplished with a bit of effort, with a robot written to trawl
existing data and rewrite it to SI units. ( Please note that
speed-limits should be in m/s if you're being pedantically SI-compliant,
and weight limits in kg, not tonnes. )

Steve

PS: Some US users might well have been entering weight limits in the
"wrong" ton(ne)s already, though the percentage difference between long
tons and tonnes is only slight. What sort of tons do they put on US
bridge weight limits warning signs anyway?