logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Is there a possibility to display highway symbols without putting the reference into the name?

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sun Oct 11 14:11:34 BST 2009

Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>

>> Is there currently a possibility with mkgmap to display highway symbols
>> without adding them to the name?
>>
>> The following format:
>> highway=motorway {name '${ref|highway-symbol:hbox} ${name}'  }
>>
>> causes problems with searching streets, if you know the streetname but
>> not the ref and want to search for an adress.
>> Trying to get the reference out of the name while still displaying the
>> highway-symbol boxes I did not find out a way how to do this.
>>
>> (also changing to the following format is not working properly (but I
>> would prefer to drop it from the name completely): {name '${name}
>> ${ref|highway-symbol:hbox}' }
>>

> As it works now, I don't think you can achieve what you want. IMHO,
> it's fundamentally broken in that the name/ref/highway shield info is
> all munged together far too early. It needs rewriting to keep them
> separate as long as possible.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Thanks for your answer - that is what I guessed (I read up a bit in the
code and could not find any possibility to achieve it)...
So for now it means that either searching for address or highway:symbol
boxes can be used - otherwise likely that you don't find the street.