logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing experiences, levels problem?

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Oct 5 22:43:26 BST 2009

On 05/10/09 01:16, Greg Troxel wrote:
> In Grand Canyon Village (south rim), I found that at 20m-300m zoom
> (etrex vista hcx), there were no roads (but there were POIs).  At 500m
> the roads appeared.  Plus, I got RoadTrip to have a persistent crash on
> startup.  So I wonder if the levels code is working right, and I have a
> basic question about what's going on.

There was a bug that was recently fixed, where roads would disappear as
you zoomed right in towards the edge of the map tile.  You might
be seeing that problem or a similar one.  Does the problem happen all
over the map or just at the edges and are you using an up-to-date mkgmap?

Another thing is RoadTrip, I have no experience with that, but I
understand that you have to go through a conversion step? Something
might not be as expected and lead to problems.

> In the img, I think there are 6 levels, represented by some binary
> codepoints.  There is a table mapping the 6 to actual zoom levels (or
> the other way around).  The style 'options' file has the default list of
> levels.  If this is more or less true, it would be nice to have more
> error checking, with the use of a level not listed in the levels
> definition causing an error.  Quite likely I am totally off base here,
> but I wanted to report the odd behavior.

In the default style, if anything is in a particular zoom level, it is
also in all the more detailed ones.  Things disappearing as you zoom in
isn't down to the features being omitted from the map but from how the
GPS unit itself behaves.

..Steve