logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Handling of Garmin magic label codes (highwayshields etc.) differs from mp-format input to osm-format ?

From Gert Münzel Gert.Muenzel at netcologne.de on Mon Oct 5 19:02:03 BST 2009

@ Steve and @ Clinton
Steve wrote:
>As the 0x1f separator is not a highway symbol it is not
>supported by the highway-symbol modifier.  In this
>case, since you don't want to modify the string it would be
>best to just insert the symbol where you want it
>to be, however mkgmap does not support that.
But mkgmap  support it if you take mp-format as input. Only with osm-input it doesn't work.
Also i saw entrys for 0x1f in the PrependFilter.java and HighwayshieldFilter.java.

Steve wrote:
> I don't paricularly like the ~[0x1f] notation since it gives no clue as to what it does,

Depending on the zoom level, only the first part is visible.
By wiping over the object you always can the see the whole label(limited by gps display).
The problem with a ~[0x6]B51 Mainstreet is, that normally the whole Label is visible on the description
page of the object in GPS e.g. for the case if it is not fully visible on the map page.
But with ~[0x6]B51 Mainstreet, only "B51" will be shown on the description page.
You need a ~[0x6]B51~[0x1f]Mainstreet construct, so that it can work proper.

> but as it is well known we could just support something like the following:
> highway=* {name '${ref|highway-symbol:oval}~[0x1f]${name}'
Sorry, but this only writes "~[0x1f]" in the img and this will be shown as plain text in the label.

Clinton wrote:
>highway=* {name '${ref|highway-symbol:oval}<0x1f>${name}'
>Where "<0x1f>" is the actual hex code 1f, inserted with a hex editor.
>This might be enough for Gert to test this out without requiring any
>modifications to mkgmap.
Maybe i missunderstood you, but you really mean that i should insert/modiy single
bytes with a hex editor in the imgfile?

Your highway=* {name '${ref|highway-symbol:oval}<0x1f>${name}' simply writes "<0x1f>"
in the img and this will be shown as plain text in the label.

cheers
Gert