logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Should inter tile routing still work when splittingSplitter results again?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Sep 30 10:01:33 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:54:19AM +0200, Ralf Kleineisel wrote:
> On 09/30/2009 10:21 AM, charlie at cferrero.net wrote:
>
> > This is true, but what you describe is an issue of mkgmap styles, not
> > of splitter tile boundaries.  I struggle to think why different people
> > would particularly want to define different tiles, as long as the
> > default set of tiles met sensible criteria (don't split major cities,
> > don't include large amounts of empty sea, where possible don't include
> > multiple countries etc).
>
> The point is this: If someone doesn't include building outlines and tracks
> in his map he can make the tiles much bigger. If someone wants all the
> details in the map he needs much smaller tiles. It is even possible to put
> all polygon data into a seperate layer because it is not relevant for the
> routing. Then you have only the streets in the routing tiles and these can
> be much bigger.
>
> Basically we would have to base the splitting on the style used.

Could we address this by basing the predefined tiles on low-detail maps
or on the mkgmap default style?  If you include more detail, you could
ask splitter to split the predefined tiles further.  Or would that result
in too small tiles?

(For what it is worth, three tiles are enough for entire Finland when using
the default mkgmap style.  Many tracks and cycleways are still missing, as
are most buildings.  So, this may change at some point.)

	Marko