logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Codepage for Greece?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Sep 28 20:21:48 BST 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 08:09:34PM +0200, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> Latin1 is only producing Questionmarks instead of greek symbols. Which
> Codepage does one have to use for Greece?
> Anyone got a clue?

Just an educated guess: Code Page 1253.  But does Garmin really support
any other code page than a subset of 1252 (Microsoft's embraced-and-extended
version of ISO 8859-1 a.k.a. Latin-1)?  Some time ago, a patch was posted
that would transliterate Greek characters into ASCII, as far as I could tell.

For what it is worth, my Edge 705 apparently supports Greek menu texts
(Elinika), but with Latin script.  It also supports Croatian (Hrvatski)
in Latin script.  Wikipedia agrees with my impression that Serbian and
Croatian are virtually the same language, but one is written with Cyrillic
and the other with Latin script.

	Marko