logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Mkgmap appears to hang on some split files

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Mon Sep 28 17:14:18 BST 2009

L> The box is a laptop with a single Intel P8600 CPU (dual core Penryn)
L> and when the process hangs it's just 1 core that is at 100% (I use
L> only one core so I can render America and Eurasia in parallel).

Hmm ok, I thought it was a dual-CPU box based on the crash dump you posted.
I guess I misunderstood it, thanks for clarifying.

L> I've tried the --max-jobs=1 parameter a few times and got it to hang,
L> stackdump (which seems identical to the earlier one I posted) is
L> attached.

This makes it more likely the problem isn't with mkgmap.

L> Funny thing is that the process produces a stackdump with
L> kill -3 <pid> but it continues to run at 100%. Kill -4 is needed to
L> persuade it to really stop.

This is to be expected. kill -3 is caught and handled by the JVM, it just
generates the stack dump and doesn't terminate the process.

Apollinaris: when you see a crash, does one of your VMs crash completely
with an hs_err_pidxxxx.log file? Or is something else happening?

Given what you've both said it unfortunately looks fairly likely the problem
is JDK related rather than mkgmap.

Chris