logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] LBL subfile details

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Thu Sep 24 12:27:33 BST 2009

On 23/09/09 15:52, Anton Todorov wrote:
> Here are some findings that i can not manage to code in java... In
> mkgmap the text between the header and the first lbl section is
> hardcoded to the string 'mkgmap'. This section is defined at the end

> original files the text is 'American'. In the source it is commented
> as "// Sort descriptor ??? ...". I could speculate that this is kind
> of dictionary name(like 'American English'). Another finding is

So that would explain what Sort Descriptor meant.  All cgpsmapper
created files just have a string like 'map created with cgpsmapper'
which is why mkgmap ones just have the hardwired string in them.

> (when the texts are coded in 6bits) that the first byte of LBL1 is
> 0xFF(in Metro Guide) which is decoded as 0x3F == 'End Marker'. In
> mkgmap it is 0x00 that i think is not correct. All elements that
> have no name have lbl1 pointer to this end marker so it should be
> 0xFF. [...]

OK, I believe this.  But, have you noticed any problems caused by it though?

> [...] If there are points for the cities and LBL1,2,3,4 are filled
> in the overview map img, menu Find->Find Places has working City tab
> in MapSource. Maybe overview img participate in the indexing in some

Ah ha, that is interesting.  I did recently notice that the trip and
waypoint map that came with my GPS had city search even though it does
not have the global index file.

The work I've started on the global index will also allow us to create
a better overview map too so we could do this then.

..Steve