logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap, sendmap and family-name oddities

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Sep 22 14:58:59 BST 2009

Hi

> mb.setAreaName(areaName != null ? areaName : "Area " + info.getMapname());
>
> in GmapsuppBuilder sets the area name when none is given.
>
> To me the behavior reported by Charlie Ferrero is more or less what I
> was expecting. There is no reason to expect a tool like sendmap would
> have the same defaults as mkgmap. My GPS has no external memory so I can
> not test myself.
>
> Perhaps Charlie Ferrero needs to try is setting the --area-name to what
> he wants his map named?

What you say is absolutely correct technically.  The only question was
since area-name is not contained in anything that is given to MapSource,
when mapsource sends a map to the device it can't use it.

However, I just remembered that when you are uploading maps with
mapsource you get a chance to type in your own name for the map set.
That name defaults to family-name.  If it can be confirmed that this
is the meaning of area-name then I will leave it in and document it as
such, but probably let it default to family-name instead of 'Area
...'.

..Steve