logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address search problem due to required "State" value

From Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu on Tue Sep 22 09:52:26 BST 2009

Felix Hartmann wrote:

> Steve Ratcliffe wrote:

>>> I wrote that bit of the wiki, and for me at least it's true. This is
>>> deduced from an NT map, with a record-length of 3 bytes. I wrote a
>>>

>> Yea, the big problem is that there is not just one format, I've no
>> idea about NT, but there are multiple different header sizes and
>> record sizes possible.  Also there is a big difference between the
>> full format as it comes with a map for mapsource, and the format when
>> it transformed and put inside the gmapsupp.

I didn't know that, but it's all in need of documentation eventually.
You're right though Steve - the wiki needs the sections talking about
individual MDRs to specify more clearly what the record-size is, and
maybe the other 4-byte value from the header too - the one tentatively
marked "flags" or "?".

> Why do you try to go for NT format?
Because that's all I've got.
At the time I started, I didn't realise there was anything unusual about
the map I have (it's the one that came with my Streetpilot).

As for NT maps being slower - well it seems that they're using
compression on the postcode, street-name and city lists. I can imagine
that there's a speed penalty.

Steve.