logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] ANNOUNCE: Free Garmin MapSource installer available

From Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com on Sat Sep 19 14:51:10 BST 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM, dom Team OiD <dom at team-oid.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure such a tool is really cool stuff. I already experimented with
> easy installer, whcih is creating msi packaes for windows.
> I didn't use your installer, so this question comes up.
> What is the benefit of your installer compared to any other like install
> shield or easy installer? Has it special Mapsource features?

I wrote it because I wanted something which I could compile/bundle in
an automated fashion on Linux and wasn't huge.

I played with the MSI tools briefly but couldn't see how I could get
those features.

But as it turns out the nullsoft scriptable install system has those
features: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/

That's what Lambertus is using to create his MapSource installers:

    http://garmin.na1400.info/

Using the NSIS is better than the ad-hoc program I've written. I just
wrote it because I thought there wasn't anything else I could use.

So /ANNOUNCEMENT I guess :)