logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] does lane assist work with mkgmap maps

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Tue Sep 8 10:27:17 BST 2009

Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>

>> I can't believe that it works. We don't even have the data in
>> Openstreetmap (in general), nor anything about lanes in the style-file.
>>

> http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=16364&start=0
>
> Obviously, we don't know how to encode this stuff at the moment.
>

>> Probabely again someone viewing osm map, but routing on underlying CN
>> (without knowing about this).
>>

> Is this really possible?

Yes, very often. Due to some changes in code of mkmgap (I had written
about this earlier) the draw priority compared to non mkgmap maps, or
older mkgmap maps (before rev 10??) will always show in front (at least
on vista hcx).
So mkgmap maps will usually always show in front.
However it might be that maps in the back take preference for routing
(this is a black book on which map is chosen for routing, so if people
don't deactivate (deactivating however does not completely deactivate,
i.e. POI search, but to avoid routing should be enough) all other maps,
they might be chosen for routing.
That's the same with routable basemap. So I am sure that if you have
mkgmap produced europe.osm and route from say germany to spain, routing
will usually be carried out on routable basemap, while short distances
use europe.osm.