logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Nuvi routing performance

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Sat Sep 5 20:28:55 BST 2009

Ralf Kleineisel wrote:
> Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>

>>> I know that on my Legend Cx which does not have a UK base map I do not
>>> get very good routing across tiles.
>>>

> My eTrex Legend HCx without European basemap gives me better routing
> than mapsource does.

I think this is really map dependent.

With my maps (openmtbmap.org), Mapsource gives much better routing,
because on GPS routes quickly go over the maximum direction change
number, which is much lower on GPS compared to Mapsource. Routes have to
be "fixed" with wingdb if longer than 5-20km, because otherwise vista
HCx can't recalculate them.

So GPS is better in calculation straight routes via highways (e.g. with
street-centric maps, or City Navigator) but run quickly out of memory on
maps sending you offroad. This is either with nonroutable US or
nonroutable OSM Basemap.