logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Which Nuvi?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Sep 2 08:58:41 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:20:08AM +0200, Valentijn Sessink wrote:
> Paul Johnson schreef:
> > This seems to be model dependant.[...] The 205 is fine for data
> > collection, but you do need a windows binary-only freebie (not free, but
> > no charge) to convert the log data to a GPX.
>
> Well, my Nuvi 205 just saves a GPX; you can show or hide it, but it
> records it nevertheless. Not that I use it for uploading (reasons in
> previous mail), but it came in handy while biking around in an untagged
> suburb, as I could see where I went.

The Edge 705 saves a TCX file that can be converted to GPX by gpsbabel.
It seems pretty accurate when recording at 1-second intervals.  But the
Edge is in a different price class.  I got mine from an UK webshop when
the GBP/EUR was at record low rate at the end of last year.  I have been
very satisfied in the hardware.  I have been powering it from a hub dynamo
charger circuit of my own design.

	Marko