logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] --make-all-cycleways oddity

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Aug 29 16:28:19 BST 2009

Hi Valentijn, Paul, all,

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 07:29:08AM +0200, Valentijn Sessink wrote:
> Paul Johnson schreef:
> > Routing involving cycleways (by bicycle or by car) makes me wonder why
> > nobody's bothered getting Garmin's SDK and create new software for those
> > units...
>
> http://onroute.nl/

Can you please explain how that link is relevant to the Garmin SDK?  It is
a proprietary set of maps in Garmin format, right?  (Do you happen to know
which tools they are using in the map compilation?)

Please correct and enlighten me if I am wrong, but I think that the only
SDK that Garmin is distributing has something to do with a binary library
for Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS X that speaks the proprietary Garmin
protocols over USB or RS-232.  Again, as far as I know, some recent models
(Edge 605/705 at least) do not speak that protocol.  Instead, they only
implement the usb-storage driver, making the internal flash and the SD card
accessible as block devices (drive letters in Windows parlance).

I would love to hack the Garmin Edge 705 firmware to fix some annoyances,
but I haven't been able to find anything about existing efforts.  There is
a firmware hacking scene for Canon digital cameras, for instance.

	Marko