logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] addr:housenumber weirdness

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Fri Aug 28 18:14:08 BST 2009

Today I noticed that the Garmin Edge 705 displays a POI as follows:

12 Apt 4 Virkatie
Vantaa 01510

I had defined the node as follows:

addr:country=FI
addr:city=Vantaa
addr:postcode=01510
addr:street=Virkatie
addr:housenumber=12-14

The localized format would be as follows:

Virkatie 12-14
01510 Vantaa

This format is used in much of Europe (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany,
France come to my mind).  I can live with the English transposition of
housenumber/street and city/postcode, but I wonder how Garmin or mkgmap
can transform the "-1" in "12-14" into " Apt ".  (Another issue is that
Garmin hasn't bothered translating the abbreviation of "apartment" into
my menu language (Finnish), "as" for "asunto".  Luckily they didn't try to
translate it as the word "apt".)

I changed the node to read addr:street=14, because while the property
can be accessed via two driveways (12 and 14), the entrance is at 14.

	Marko