logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] gui for areas.list ?

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Fri Aug 28 17:34:23 BST 2009

C> Hi,
C> Don't works for me in Google Earth. The areas are not shown as
C> squares,
C> but as funny shapes spread around the world.
C> <coordinates>
C> 3,295898,45,791016
C> Looks like a decimal point vs. comma problem.

Thanks for the report. As Mark points out, it's because the code is using
the default locale rather than forcing it to English. I'll check in a fix
in the next day or so.

C> Question for manually adjusting the values in areas.list:
C>
C> 1: 2134016,153600 to 2228224,256000
C> #       : 45.791016,3.295898 to 47.812500,5.493164
C> The values (eg 2134016) have to be a multiple of 1024 ?

The alignment depends on the value you specify for --resolution. You need
to make the borders multiples of 2 ^ (24 - resolution), and the tiles themselves
must be multiples of 2 ^ (25 - resolution). So for the default resolution
of 13, tile boundaries must be multiples of 2048 (0x800 hex) and the tiles
themselves must have widths and heights that are multiples of 4096 (0x1000
hex).

When you run the splitter, you'll see a message along the lines of the following
that tells you the alignment you need:

Map is being split for resolution 13:
 - area boundaries are aligned to 0x800 map units
 - areas are multiples of 0x1000 map units wide and high

Hope that helps

Chris