logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] --make-all-cycleways oddity

From Valentijn Sessink valentyn at blub.net on Fri Aug 28 07:47:21 BST 2009

Hi list, hi Mark,

First, a remark. Since the oneway=yes/cycleway=opposite roads have
"(cycleway)" attached to their names, a GPS unit will randomly show
either the regular name, or the (cycleway) name. Which isn't too bad for
testing, I'd suggest you leave it this way until we're set and done with
it, because now you can see *why* a certain road is accessible or
inaccessible (i.e. it tells you where you're driving). Namely, here's
one occasion where it came in handy:

Yesterday I drove by car to one of those "cycleway=opposite" ways and to
my surprise, my Garmin told me to turn right to "Hembrugstraat
(cycleway)". I'm absolutely sure that the unit was set to "car" and not
bike. So is there a bug in the opposite-way-code? (Or is this the
strange idea of a Garmin that you can route the wrong way for some
meters??) I had another Garmin unit with me with a regular Garmin map,
that showed the right route; also, the route is nothing special, just
about this:
http://www.yournavigation.org/?flat=52.392997&flon=4.871082&tlat=52.391864&tlon=4.87679&v=motorcar&fast=1&layer=mapnik

Any ideas? (I'll recheck the routing later on, to see if this will also
happen with positions further away in one-way-streets).

Best regards,

Valentijn
--
Durgerdamstraat 29, 1507 JL Zaandam; telefoon 075-7074579