logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Possible maxspeed patch

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Thu Aug 27 23:35:31 BST 2009

MarkS <OSM at redcake.co.uk> writes:

> This adds a new option "maxspeed". This can be set to:
>
> "ignore" - The maxspeed tag is ignored and road class from the style
> file is used.
> "heed" - The maxspeed tag is used. If it doesn't exist then road class
> from the style file is used
> "lower" - The lower of the maxspeed tag and the road class is used.
> "higher" - The higher of the maxspeed tag and the road class is used.
>
> If "maxspeed" isn't defined then the patch will look for
> ignore-maxspeed ; if ignore-maxspeed is present then it will just use
> the road class from the style file. This will ensure current usage
> isn't broken.
>
> If "maxspeed" and "ignore-maxspeed" are not defined then it will
> default to "heed" which reproduces current behaviour.

This all makes sense, but it seems that the real problem needs to be
solved at the database semantics level.  Patching it up in mkgmap
certainly is useful, but other routing engines should have a consistent
view.  I think we're really talking about "given a .osm file and a
particular way, how do you decide what speed you should assume one can
drive on that way".