logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Possible maxspeed patch

From MarkS OSM at redcake.co.uk on Wed Aug 26 20:49:02 BST 2009

Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Wouldnt it make sense to make it possible to apply factors based on road
> class to the maxspeed setting?
>
> e.g unclassified -> maxspeed*0.6
>     tertiary -> maxspeed*0.8
>
> OTOH this should all be the responsibility of the routing engine
> and at the moment as i understand we abuse the maxspeed (OSM) to set
> an "average speed" in the Garmin dataset - not something like a
> speed limit which is obviously broken anyway and just some
> idea to make use of the maxspeed ...

I'd come across this whilst setting up the patch. The main road near me
has maxspeed=50mph on it. This then gets converted to kilometers and
just scrapes over the 80kph barrier and gets a road class of 5 which
effectively assumes you will never drop below the speed limit.

My feeling was that there might be a case for another patch which
reduces the maxspeed by a certain amount (eg. 5mph or by 20%) when
deciding which road class to allocate. This probably needs (yet) another
parameter.

My patch isn't really concerned with how the maxspeed tag is converted
to a road class. It is aimed at deciding whether to use set the road
class from the style file, the maxspeed tag (however that is translated
to road class) or both.