logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Selectable maps on gps

From MarkS OSM at redcake.co.uk on Wed Aug 26 09:27:24 BST 2009

Clifford Nolan wrote:
> I can't seem to find the right options so that I can output more than
> one map within a gmapsupp.img file and have those individual maps be
> selectable with the ticks on the gps itself.
>
> For example, if I have file_A.osm and file_B.osm  how can make these two
> separate maps show up separately on the gps so I can select them?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cliff
My approach is:
- Run splitter on a UK extract
- Run mkgmap with the GMAPSUPP option turned on to create a single UK
file with (in my case) 11 sub-maps (one for each area). Make sure family
name is defined in the options.
- Run mkgmap again using a different style (in this case a style file
showing speed limits and nothing else) again with the GMAPSUPP option
turned on so I get GMAPSUPP.IMG as an output. Make sure family name is
defined.
- Run wgmaptool to combine these two GMAPSUPP.IMG files together. At the
same time I also add in typ files and a couple of other GMAPSUPP.IMG
files (one has contours and one is from OpenMTB). This creates a new
GMAPSUPP.IMG file with all the individual files combined.
- Copy to an SD card and put it in the garmin
- In the garmin go to the list of the maps (which is very long in my
case), press the menu button and it then lets you show/hide all the maps
  with the same family name in one go (so for example I can turn OpenMTD
on/off in one go).