logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Splitter --cache parameter

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Sun Aug 23 18:00:02 BST 2009

Something else I probably should have mentioned. Enabling the disk cache
does NOT reduce the memory required to perform the split, though it does
make multiple passes during the second stage much quicker, and the more passes
that are used (via smaller --max-areas values) the less memory required during
that stage.

I'm still looking into the best way to reduce the memory required during
the first (area subdivision) stage, since this is the one thing still preventing
people from splitting the planet on a 32 bit VM.

Chris