logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Regression causing Heap space exhaustion?

From Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk on Sun Aug 23 11:49:51 BST 2009

On 22/08/2009, at 12.51, Greg Troxel wrote:

> So,
>
>  set the heap size to a bit less than physram and leave it there
>  (e.g. 1700k for 2M physical) to avoid paging
>
>  use the splitter
>
>    max-nodes 1600000 might be a good value, and if you have trouble
>    report it.  I have had people say that doesn't work with --route
> and
>    they need to use 800000, but 1.6M works for me.

Success! I had to set maxnodes to 500K in the splitter and use 4G ram
in the VM to make it work.

However.... the resulting gmapsupp.img makes my Legend Cx crash when
it's turned off: it continously beeps and the only way to stop it is
to remove the batteries. (I've experienced that before on gmapsupp.img
files downloaded from the net, from sites I've now forgotten.)

With mkgmap svn630 I can create a gmapsupp.img file straight from
denmark.osm that works in my GPS device, without using the splitter.

>  if you are inclined to explore this further, read the source and add
>  accounting of resources and printouts at end of tile to mkgmap and
>  send patches.

Is that your way of saying "wontfix" ? ;-) Sorry, but java is one of
the few programming languages I have absolutely no skills in.

For now, we will pin mkgmap svn630 in Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard <mok0 at ubuntu.com>