logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sea Polygons and java 1.6

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Sat Aug 22 12:48:58 BST 2009

SR> So if we were to start requiring 1.6 I would like to prepare by
SR> adding a specific error message to mkgmap stating the version
SR> requirements, rather than just a stack trace that you would
SR> currently see, and to get a description of how to obtain 1.6 for the
SR> different Macs that can be placed on the wiki and web site etc.

I guess the problem is if you just compile with 1.6 and run on 1.5, the VM
fails pretty quickly with a UnsupportedClassVersionError. Perhaps if you
set <property name="ant.build.javac.target" value="1.5"/> and checking immediately
on startup to see if eg NavigableSet exists you'll be able to do what you
want? Might also have to avoid 1.6 language features like @Override on interface
implementations I suppose.

I'm quite happy to see a move to 1.6, but as you say being able to give a
clear warning when running on 1.5 is probably essential to reduce the amount
of support required.

Chris