logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Regression causing Heap space exhaustion?

From Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk on Sat Aug 22 02:00:08 BST 2009

On 22/08/2009, at 01.53, Greg Troxel wrote:

> With splitter/mkgmap, the general strategy I use is:
>
>  set heap size to a bit less than RAM, to avoid paging
>
>  use --max-nodes to splitter to make small enough areas.
>

> Here is the script I use (with a mac that has 4G physical ram):

Great! Thanks, I will explore this and report back!

In the meantime, I've run mkgmap on some of the files from geofabrik,
here are the results when running the current svn version, using:

  java -Xmx1024m -jar mkgmap file.osm

Size		File						Result
2,2G		denmark.osm			Fail
474M		63240001.osm dk, split1	Fail
654M		norway.osm				Fail
629M		poland.osm				Fail
289M		belgium.osm				OK
266M		romania.osm				OK
59M		luxembourg.osm			OK
4,8M		andorra.osm				OK

Although it seems that the problem is somewhat related to file size,
there is no simple interpretation possible, since file #2 is less than
twice the size of belgium.osm, but that fails even with 4x the amount
of RAM for the VM. Also, there are probably great differences in the
use of various tags in the different areas of the maps. Perhaps
someone can see another pattern here.

Cheers,
Morten