logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Instructions to make contour maps

From Nolan Clifford clifford.nolan at ul.ie on Wed Aug 19 09:44:30 BST 2009

Ralf, thanks for posting your instructions.  I will try them out
later.  Is is it possible to do without srtm (I'm on a mac and want to
avoid executing windows commands)?  Am I on the right track with the
following approach:

1. Download file(s) from say http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Eurasia/
  .  Suppose I download N52W009.hgt.zip
2.  Decompress the above file(s) and store them in some directory
("jnk" in my case).
3. Download a .osm file with data covered by the bounds of the contour
data in step 1.
4. Compile with the command java -Xmx1g -Xms1g -jar /Applications/
mkgmap/dist/mkgmap.jar --description="OSM_Ireland" --country-
name="Ireland" --country-abbr="IRL" --series-name="Openstreetmap" --
latin1 --tdbfile --codepage=1252 --family-id=1 --product-id=1 --
contours --dem-type=SRTM --dem-path=/Users/nolan/jnk/ --dem-separate-
img data.osm

The above fails.  I often get an error whereby it is looking for
contour data in a neighbouring tile that I was not expecting it to
need but maybe it needs to do some interpolation.  Once I fix this and
download the required contour tile I then get a weird error whereby it
compains about negative altitudes!  For example:

EVERE (Main): java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: elevation: -610 631
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: elevation: -610 631

Maybe I am under completely the wrong impression and what I am trying
to do is just not possible.  Either way, any enlightening pointers
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff