logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Make --add-pois-to-areas default?

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Sun Aug 16 23:19:39 BST 2009

Am 16.08.2009 um 23:14 schrieb Nop:

> Thilo Hannemann schrieb:
>> "One feature, one OSM-object
>> Don't place nodes in (equally labelled) areas just to see some icon
>> appear on the map. The renderers will display icons on areas as well
>> and there's no need to have every parking-lot, soccer-ground etc.
>> twice in the database."
>
> It is not true that all renderers will display icons for all areas.

Not yet perhaps.

> It is also very questionable whether all renderers will always
> provide a
> meaningful positioning of automatically created icons, e.g. a simple
> approach will place the icon for an L-shaped area outside of the area.

If a simple approach won't give the desired result we should implement
a better approach. This has to be done only once for the renderer(s)
and not for all the items in the database. "We do not tag for the
renderers." applies here.

> I think that a manually placed POI is always preferrable over an
> automatically created one and the wiki is oversimplifying things here.

Actually this rule allows you to have manually placed POIs. But then
you should not have the area labelled.

And I think that is reasonable. Because otherwise a lot of items get
duplicated in the database without any reliable way to determine
whether they are duplicates or not.

Therefore, I think the current algorithm for the add-pois-to-areas is
sufficient, because it will correct most instances of those duplicate
tags, which are errors in the database and should be corrected in the
database anyway.

Regards
Thilo