logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Make --add-pois-to-areas default?

From Thilo Hannemann thannema at gmx.de on Sun Aug 16 00:02:09 BST 2009

Regarding the manual placement of POI objects:

	http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice

says

"One feature, one OSM-object
Don't place nodes in (equally labelled) areas just to see some icon
appear on the map. The renderers will display icons on areas as well
and there's no need to have every parking-lot, soccer-ground etc.
twice in the database."

So having a manual placed POI inside an area that is tagged with the
same keys should actually be avoided. We should respect that. If it
causes problems with the map creation we should improve the map
creation.

Regarding the "add-pois-to-areas": This is quite usable as it is now.
It actually *does* test whether there is already a POI present. To
avoid the "forest of POIs" problem it would be nice to have a function
to merge all similar POIs inside a configurable radius into one. This
would make sense for all POIs, not only the ones created from areas.

What I don't like about the add-pois-to-areas is that the created POI
will get the same name as the area. The name-tweaking for the POIs
isn't applied to the POIs that are generated from an area. I've
already created my own patch to correct that. If somebody likes to
integrate this to trunk I'll happily post a patch against trunk for it
(my current patch works against trunk plus the multiple-garmin-
elements patch and doesn't work against trunk alone).

Regards
Thilo