logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Make --add-pois-to-areas default?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Aug 15 20:38:55 BST 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 08:30:13PM +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> I just noted with a garmin map from kleineisel.de that my local supermarket is
> not listed.
>
> The reason is that it's an area, not a point. I think this is caused by not
> applying --add-pois-to-areas (?)
>
> I think it's reasonable to make this option the default and only disable
> it by request. It should be the common case that one wants pois generated
> also if they are areas.

I think that --add-pois-to-areas only makes sense for open areas that can
be accessed from all directions.  For example, supermarkets usually have
one or two entrances, and the auto-generated POI could produce wrong results.

Here is a real-life example: A shop that is in a fenced area.  When I first
visited it with the navigator, there was no POI, but I selected the building
on the map and asked for a (bicycle) route.  It almost got me there, but
it told me to go through the fence.  I had to make a non-trivial detour to
get to the entrance.

Thus, I would say that it makes sense to manually create POIs for all areas,
at the entrance.  Or, if --add-pois-to-areas is to be made the default, it
should not add duplicate POIs if there already is a POI nearby with the same
name.

> Should I make a patch for that?

Please, if you can implement the above suggestion (avoiding duplicate POIs),
it would be more useful.  (Sorry if it already does that; I have never used
the feature.)

	Marko