logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Rounding bug in splitter?

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Wed Aug 12 16:24:57 BST 2009

> If you do that, does that mean that those of us who manually calculate
> our areas.list files as input to splitter will then need to ensure the
> bounding coordinates are divisible by 4096 rather than 2048?

No, the generation of areas.list is a completely separate step from the actual
splitting that uses it. However...

> I guess it will only really matter when working on tiny test areas
> that could previously have been bounded in a 2048x2048 box and would
> now need to be bounded in a 4096x4096 box.

...it seems you need to have the area borders aligned to 2048 map units(*)
AND the area centre points must also be aligned to a 2048 map unit boundary.
In practice this means that the area widths and heights must be multiples
of 4096 even though the tile borders are only 2048 aligned. If you don't
do this, you'll likely see some of the area-boundary problems that Valentijn
descibed in the other thread.

I have a fix for the splitter in the works, hopefully it will be checked
in later tonight. If you're producing areas.list files by hand then I'd suggest
you follow the same rules.

(*) this number is dependent on the zoom level values in your style file.

Chris