logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Option --remove-short-arcs

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Wed Aug 12 14:30:42 BST 2009

Hi Mark,

On 12/08/09 11:23, Mark Burton wrote:
> I believe that the mimimum distance will depend on lat/lon because the
> real constraint is that the source and target nodes must not have the
> same coordinates (resolution being 360 deg / 2^24)

Are you sure that is the real constraint?

The 5.4m value is widely known and used by everyone else in
the Garmin map making communities, so it sees unwise to ignore
it.

So OK, we do not know where this number comes from.  The best
speculation was from Alex who notes that it is close (within 10%)
of the minimum length that can be encoded into RouteArc.lenth
Since the conversion factor from meters/feet is empirically
determined, it could be incorrect by a few percent anyway.

Cheers,

..Steve