logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Option --remove-short-arcs

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Aug 12 11:41:55 BST 2009

Mark Burton wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>

>> Is there any problem with this option, such that you might not want
>> to use it?
>>

> I am not aware of any problem.
>

>> As I understand it, if you do not give it then routing will not work,
>> as we know (or believe) that all routing arcs have to be more than 5.4m.
>>

> I believe that the mimimum distance will depend on lat/lon because the
> real constraint is that the source and target nodes must not have the
> same coordinates (resolution being 360 deg / 2^24)
>

>> If that is so, then we should just set the required behaviour whenever
>> the route option is given.
>>

> Why don't we do that but still provide an option to turn off the
> short arc removal (which should never need to be used but may be useful
> when tracking down problems).
>

>> I realize that there might be other approaches, eg we could stretch arcs
>> instead of removing them, but if removing them is our current best
>> approach, lets make it the default.
>>

> It seems to be working well enough at the moment.
>
> Shall I change the code to remove the --remove-short-arcs option and,
> instead, enable that function if --route is specified and
> (the new) --keep-short-arcs option is not specified?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Yes, but we should be clear about the distance needed. I used =3 because
without specifying it, I had some route calculation working, that
without specifying did not work. If there is really 5.4m then the
default should go for 5.4 -- or just leave the option as it is right now
but use it by default except if say --remove-short-arcs=no is given...