logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Option --remove-short-arcs

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Wed Aug 12 11:23:31 BST 2009

Hi Steve,

> Is there any problem with this option, such that you might not want
> to use it?

I am not aware of any problem.

> As I understand it, if you do not give it then routing will not work,
> as we know (or believe) that all routing arcs have to be more than 5.4m.

I believe that the mimimum distance will depend on lat/lon because the
real constraint is that the source and target nodes must not have the
same coordinates (resolution being 360 deg / 2^24)

> If that is so, then we should just set the required behaviour whenever
> the route option is given.

Why don't we do that but still provide an option to turn off the
short arc removal (which should never need to be used but may be useful
when tracking down problems).

> I realize that there might be other approaches, eg we could stretch arcs
> instead of removing them, but if removing them is our current best
> approach, lets make it the default.

It seems to be working well enough at the moment.

Shall I change the code to remove the --remove-short-arcs option and,
instead, enable that function if --route is specified and
(the new) --keep-short-arcs option is not specified?

Cheers,

Mark