logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Rounding bug in splitter?

From charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net on Tue Aug 11 17:01:31 BST 2009

Quoting Chris Miller <chris.miller at kbcfp.com>:

>> Hi
>>
>> On 10/08/09 22:37, Chris Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Steve/anyone,
>>>
>>> Can someone please clarify exactly how DivisionParser.round(Area) is
>>> supposed to behave? My understanding is that it is taking the area
>>> passed in and rounding
>>>
>> On past experience, it is pretty safe to assume that any rounding code
>> written by me is incorrect until proven otherwise.
>
> Haha OK, I'll bear that tip in mind ;) Thanks for clarifying.
>
> I haven't yet had time to read through and understand everything in
> the thread
> Valentijn pointed at
> (http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q3/002789.html)
> but my impression is that the conclusion was that the splitter should be
> rounding areas off to boundaries in multiples of 4096 rather than 2048? If
> that's so I'll have a look at fixing that tonight (hopefully it's as simple
> as setting SPLIT = 12 for AreaSplitter.limit(), DivisionParser.round()).
If you do that, does that mean that those of us who manually calculate
our areas.list files as input to splitter will then need to ensure the
bounding coordinates are divisible by 4096 rather than 2048?
I guess it will only really matter when working on tiny test areas
that could previously have been bounded in a 2048x2048 box and would
now need to be bounded in a 4096x4096 box.