logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter build fails on mac

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Thu Aug 6 17:26:51 BST 2009

Clinton Gladstone <clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com> writes:

>> I am trying to build the splitter on a mac (10.5.7 with java 1.6.0_13,
>> 64-bit server VM), and failing.  I have successfully built mkgmap and
>> run it, so my java setup is mostly ok.
>
> I regularly build splitter in a similar environment to yours. I have
> to be very careful to make sure that I use the 1.6 Java compiler (not
> just the JRE) when I do this. If you have just adjusted the symbolic
> link to java 1.6, this will not be sufficient to compile with 1.6
>
> I don't have my Mac in front of me right now, but I believe I set the
> JAVA_ROOT (or similar) environment variable to the 1.6 framework.

Thanks -- that was the problem.

I have installed the 1.6 JDK, and used "Java Preferences" to set it as
the default.  "java -version" and "javac -version" both report 1.6.
But, ant searches for various java implementations and finds first or
prefers the 1.5.  After setting JAVA_HOME I can run ant successfully on
splitter.  I have a patch to mkgmap/doc/README.java to explain this.
While it's perhaps overly tutorial, it's probably helpful to new people
who are only running java because of OSM.

Another mystery - after 'ant' I don't find dist/splitter.jar.  Do I need
to do something special to get a jar file?  The mkgmap ant build seems
to create this automatically.