logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory limits for mkgmap and splitter

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Wed Aug 5 11:48:36 BST 2009

I've now made some changes that remove the 4-area per relation limit and
also the 255 tile limit. The 255 tile fix is just a workaround for now, it
requires a full reprocess for each set of 255 tiles rather than tackling
them all in a single pass. This will still be significantly better than only
processing 4 areas at a time however.

I've made some code changes to allow more than 4 areas per relation and more
than 255 tiles per split. I won't have time to commit these changes until
I get home later this evening. If you want to try it out in the meantime
you can download a version from here (please treat this as a very unofficial
and beta-quality release!):

http://redyeti.net/splitter.jar

Here's what's changed from the version that's currently in the codestore:

- Replaced the SAX parser with XPP for modest performance and memory benefits
- Improved program output to give more detail about what's going on (work
in progress)
- Removed limit of 4 areas per relation (no memory or performance penalty)
- Removed limit of 255 areas per split. When there are more than 255 areas,
multiple passes are made with up to 255 areas processed per pass

Any feedback, questions or suggestions are welcome. I haven't tried this
on anything as big as North/South America yet, would be very interested to
hear how it goes.

Chris