logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Append Name with general rules via style-file

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Aug 5 08:47:04 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 12:23:48AM +0200, Thilo Hannemann wrote:
> 5.
> As the name mangling might get really complex how about factoring the
> mkgmap code in a way that makes it easy to write your own name
> mangling code in Java? One could for example introduce another keyword
> for the type part that selects a 'namefinder' for that part. The
> namefinder would be a Java routine that will be compiled as part of
> mkgmap. Probably everybody discussing in this thread here compiles his
> own version of mkgmap anyway. Writing a name mangling function in Java
> might actually be easier than coming up with some super-powerful
> syntax for the style files. Useful namefinder routines could then be
> integrated into trunk for general usage.
>
> Example for that:
>
> mtb:scale=0  & mtb:scale:uphill=0 & route=mtb [0x??
> namefinder=MTBROUTE road_class=? road_speed=? level ?]

+1 for that.  One of the built-in name finders (I can contribute it)
would embed name, operator, ref, (shelter|covered)=(yes|no), fee=(no|*)
in the name.  This would be useful for bus stops, parking, and various
amenities.  The resulting label could be something like this:

name (ref) [operator] [+-][$!]

The + or - would correspond to (covered|shelter)=(yes|no), and
the ! or $ would correspond to fee=no or fee=*.  Any of the components
could be absent.  E.g., a parking place with no name, operator or fee
would be named "!" (and given the parking place symbol).

Later on, we might want to pass a format string to the namefinder routine,
for localization purposes, e.g., for using a different currency symbol.

	Marko