logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Translating command line strings into target charset

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Sat Aug 1 12:35:17 BST 2009

Hi

I know it was quite a while back when you posted this, sorry.

On 24/06/09 21:56, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> My friend, who owns a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx, notified me of a character set
> problem in a tile name of my map.  I wasn't aware of the problem, because
> my Edge 705 does not display map tile names.  The tile Etelä-Suomi (Southern
> Finland) appears as Etelä-Suomi, where the currency symbol ¤ is displayed
> as a black diamond.  Other ä characters in the gmapsupp.img are encoded as
> the byte code 304 in octal notation.

Yes it just slaps in the string directly without translation.
It appears from your example that it is being displayed as a
latin1 character set.  I don't know what controls that though;
does it take the character set from the LBL section or is
there something else.

A safe first step would be to transliterate to ascii which
works over the widest range of languages in mkgmap.

..Steve