logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] "board Ferry"

From Valentijn Sessink valentyn at blub.net on Fri Jul 31 07:45:33 BST 2009

Hi list,

As I was biking around with my brand new, (only €66) Nuvi 205, I noticed
that, while the regular map says "Ga. Aan Boord. Veerboot.", the mkgmap
made map just lets you drive straight into the water.

Maybe there's something special about a ferry terminal point? The map
shows the ferry line all right and it routes over it, so that's not the
problem.

Also, when simulating the journey, there's a boat sign on the Nüvi
(where you normally have the arrows telling you how to turn), while the
OSM map just shows an arrow telling you where the next turn is (on the
other side of the water).

An interesting detail is, that the Nüvi, in simulation mode, will wait
for the ferry to leave, it just sits there, waiting for the virtual
ferry to reach the virtual other side. This is both with the Garmin and
the OSM map, and it means that the ferry *line* is interpreted as a
ferry, so here the OSM map is all right. It's just the boarding itself
that is lacking.

Best regards,

Valentijn