logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Clearing mapsource tile cache

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Thu Jul 30 08:17:52 BST 2009

Garvan & maew wrote:
> Mark Burton wrote:
>
>> Hi Garvan,
>>
>> I just deleted this folder
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\markb\Application Data\GARMIN\MapSource\TileCache
>>
>> and I think it did the trick (obviously, change the user name to your
>> own)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>> _
>>

> Thanks for this tip. Now I can try the upgrade again.
>
> Garvan

Not to stir up any discussion, but Mapsource >6.13.7 is full of crap and
faults. The worst the scale being completly wrong in the north/south
direction, so 1km to the north on the map does not equal 1km to the
south. Even with cache bloody slow and graphics that at first view look
a bit more pleasant, but the more you work with it the worse they look.
Also many possibilities to display things that work on all Garmin units
with typfile support as well as Mapsource <=6.13.7  don't show up
anymore, so the map display is really different from GPS. The biggest
being that if you use overlays for lines they will allways be drawn in
the middle of the line, independent of what you put into your typfile.
The only advantage is that maps without typfile will look better and
have some advantages (which go away once you define objects in typfile).

Impossible therefore to check whether a change you made in mkgmap will
show up on GPS too!!!!, With Mapsource 6.13.7 you could be pretty save.