logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter - performance and memory

From Chris Miller chris.miller at kbcfp.com on Sun Jul 19 23:30:32 BST 2009

> If your expectation of less then 50% memory usage is correct then you
> should be able to handle the world on your 6GB machine as North and
> South America (~2/3 of the data) can be split using 8GB ram with the
> current splitter.

Unfortunately the 50% estimated saving is only for the first stage, the split
will still fail a bit later when it creates the split files. I'll try and
look at addressing that too, there's a few different options.

Thanks for the info about the memory requirements, useful to know - I don't
have any real data myself yet!