logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Option "preserve-element-order"

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Wed Jul 1 11:25:51 BST 2009

First to understand, mapsource like gps drawn things on top of each
other, thus what gets drawn first ends up on below things drawn later.
On GPS this is even more noticable than in Mapsource.

Drawing order on GPS:
1. Polygons (doesn't matter which layer nor map-id,) --> polygons
themselves by draw order in typfile.
2. Polylines (layers get drawn first lowest map-id to highest map.id,
thus lower higher layers are drawn on top of  lower highway map-id
layers) - this behaviour is opposite to what Mapsource does. Polylines
themselves if not organised by map-id layers get drawn according to 1.
type (some types behave differently), 2. id.
3. POI (depends on ID and type) - allways on top of polygons and polylines

Drawing order in Mapsource <= 6.13.7. (I don't use crapsource >=6.14.1
which works differently again and is blody slow, and overcomes this by
caching the map so you don't notice how crappy it's performance really
is, but loads up to 20GB of temp files onto my 1.5TB harddisk, also
antialising depending on graphic card gets tedious for the eyes - as
everything gets cached before showing up difficult to analyse what gets
drawn first.)
1. Overall order is defined by map-id layers. layers get preference, so
polygons have to be in lowest layer (map-id). Polygons themselves are
organised by draw order primarily and either type or id (have not
figured this out yet)
2. Streets, layers opposite to GPS, types the same way as on GPS. thus
0x01 is drawn usually lowest.
3. POI Have not figured it out, seems to depend on type and map-id.