logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Performance

From Richard Fairhurst richard at systemeD.net on Sun Jun 28 08:52:03 BST 2009

Apollinaris Schoell wrote:

> there is nearly no chance that a gzipped 36Mb osm file file fit into a
> .img tile.
> you will need to split it into smaller tiles.

Thanks.

I was going by the docs on http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/page/tile-splitter
which suggest "The default [for max-nodes] is fairly conservative, I
think you could increase it quite a lot". Clearly not by 50% though. ;)

I've rerun it with the default split and it coped with a 9Mb .gz
happily, a 17.5Mb slowly (approx 1hr30), an 8Mb happily, but is now
choking on a 27Mb one. Guess I'll keep trying while reducing the
max-nodes value in the splitter.

What that does mean is that I'll need to write a relation splitter, as
the whole reason I'm doing this is to show cycle routes, and two of
them have bitten the dust (too many tiles) even on the default split.
I presume there isn't one already out there?

cheers
Richard